On my mind — A Finished Log Cabin

A few weeks back ‘on my mind’ was this log cabin quilt in progress. I finished hand sewing the binding on November 28, 2011. It is off my to finish list and is now check off as a Christmas gift for a grandson.

My daughter, Emily, does all my quilting on our long arm quilting machine.

Also on the finished list is this log cabin afghan, I made to try the knitting strips of color, binding that strip off, and picking up stitches on another side to knit another strip of color. I liked doing it as it is one of those projects that don’t take a lot of concentration. This one, too, is check of the Christmas gift list for another grandson.

I’m joining others with things on their minds here:

http://down—to—earth.blogspot.com/2011/12/on-my-mind.html

Published in: on December 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm  Comments (1)  

On My Mind — Doggy Sweater

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join. To take part, post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to here from your blog by saying you’re part of “On my mind”.

 

This is Tilly.

She is a miniature doxie mix.

She is my mother’s companion.

She gets cold when they go on their daily walk.

I finally finished knitting her sweater.

Mom added elastic around the neck and back ruffle to keep out the breezes.

You can go here: http://down—to—earth.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-my-mind.html  to see what is on other people’s minds.

 

 

Published in: on November 11, 2011 at 11:15 am  Leave a Comment  

Finishing Quilt Projects

“Finishing” has been the goal during sewing sessions the past two weeks.

Flannel quilt top using the puzzle block for  Elizabeth was finished in 2010. Last week,  Emily,  of Quilt’m , did the wild large meander quilting. I bound and labeled the quilt and made a pillowcase to match the flannel backing material, a precious moments little girl and goose print.

McKenna’s quilt was started   November, 2010.  Emily quilted it with curves, and petals, and a gentle meander accenting the piecing. Now it is bound and labeled and ready to be mailed.

Elizabeth has a little brother, Jonathan. Their father was raised in Montana, when I saw this fabric with  printed forest scenes, I knew it was what I wanted for Jonathan’s quilt.   The top was finished in November, 2010, the backing was made from leftover print squares.  Emily quilted it with close attention to the patterns in the prints and the quilt block. This week it, too, was bound and labeled. Tonight Elizabeth and Jonathan’s quilts finally made their way home.

I am member of Kaye England’s “bread and Butter” quilt group and I have been working on a log cabin quilt for several weeks. This week I finished the log cabins.I’ll add a 3 inch border around the cabins. Tonight I’ll be putting together the backing, by making two rows of the 5×1 1/2 inch pieces leftover from the cabins.  These two rows will give me the length I need. I’m still trying to decide if I need to do something to add to the wideth. This picture is taken in the guest room at Brother Bob’s.

I already have two projects in the queue, I’m not sure which one to start next. Of course, there are several in my playhouse in various stages of completion.

On my mind – Finishing

On Friday DOWN TO EARTH shares what’s on her mind and
asks what’s on your mind?

This quilt is ‘on my mind.’

I pieced  this flannel quilt for my great-niece, McKenna.

My  goal for today: bind McKenna’s quilt.

Auntie Em did the beautiful quilting.

Postscript – Friday, 8:40pm, PDST   —   DONE!

On my Mind – A Finished Project

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join. To take part, post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to here from your blog by saying you’re part of “On my mind”.

On my mind this week, I finished another quilt project! Maybe it should be off my mind now.

I joined a Kaye England quilt group this spring. This quilt is the fourth project in the series. I used a different method of making the flying geese from what the pattern showed;  and in doing the figuring I made 2 geese  to a 6 inch square instead of 3 geese to a four inch square ( my brain did a flip and I didn’t even notice until I was putting the blocks together). My quilt looked very different from all the others. It is bright and colorful using Kaye England’s fabrics and will be just right for a new baby born 4 days before my birthday.

Published in: on August 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm  Comments (4)